Wednesday, July 11, 2012

When it gets hard

I recently read a post on WeddingBee.com about how to convey sensitive information about your wedding. I was intrigued, but as I read over the "sensitive information", I couldn't help but feel a little jilted. The "sensitive info" included registry information, or asking for no kids at the wedding, but what about the MORE sensitive information.

Hoping that I don't offend anyone here, but I was hoping for advice on the REAL issues that I've encountered, not just the etiquette from the Southern handbook on proper wedding invitations. I want advice on how to convince your groomsmen that paying $150 to rent a chocolate brown tux is totally worth it. I want advice on how to politely ask bridesmaids to have an updo for wedding pictures so neither wind nor rain can tarnish them. How about not offending family members, who have a much more conservative attitude than your friends, when your pictures include obscene gestures. I need advice on keeping Jack Daniels away from Kyle, and my brother, for 24 hours surrounding the wedding. Someone please tell me what to pack for a surprise honeymoon, what a good mother-son dance song is, and how in the world we can fit all we need to do on the day of the wedding in 8 hours!

I have felt this cycle of love/hate for wedding planning throughout the entire course of our engagement, but recently the hate has been growing with the stress of going back to work, the disappointment that I cannot do it all, and the financial woes of clearing the bank account with down payments and supply purchases. I hope that I can continue to write to help alleviate this anxiety, and to keep an eye on the final goal.

My advice: learn from your friends and what they went through for their weddings, don't expect it to all be fun, and when it gets to be too much, take a break from the wedding and focus on each other! I hope I can find time and money to fit that into our schedule!

Sometimes I just want to escape from it all...

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, if your family and friends support you, you should be able to just outright ask all those things of them and they should oblige. I did have a couple people who couldn't pay for their dress or tux because of financial hardships, so Sammy and I paid for theirs - just ask politely like you said. As for the Jack, don't know how to control that. I know Sammy and the groomsmen drank before the wedding, but they were great about making sure they didn't overdo it. Don't worry too much. Everything will work out. Even if some things go wrong; it's one day and it won't be the end of the world - I promise! Besides, you might want some interesting events to occur to reminisce (sp?) over. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not just YOUR day, but your significant other's day. So, if anything, he should share some of this stress. You want these colors, tell them to get it because its you and your fiance's wedding, and this is what you want. You want your bridesmaids to have their hair up, you have the power to make it happen. It's your wedding album, and hopefully it will be your ONLY wedding album, so do as you please. People need to give you respect and that you want things done a certain way. When you see other people's weddings, sure there are some things you may think are a bit shabby, but to the couple, they'll think its perfect. I know these people mean a lot to you, and you don't want to hurt their feelings. But you're not going to have things done the way you want unless you put your foot down.
    Hang in there Ms. Jensen! It'll be okay. It's hard to please everyone, but sometimes you have to think about yourself first; you can't expect to take care of anyone if you don't know how to take care of yourself.

    your former student,
    Alyza

    ^__^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...